Over thirty years ago the husband and wife team of Oregon artists, Michael Pratt and Reta Larson discovered a mutual interest in American Art Tile. They began creating their own uniquely beautiful tile and in the process became the leaders of the revival of the art tile movement in the United States.
In the late 1970’s art tile was virtually non-existent in the United States. The Great Depression of the 1930’s had closed most of the American Art tile factories and much of their legacy was lost. Ceramic tile was thought of as a utilitarian building material if it was used at all.
Inspired by a visit to the Moravian Pottery and the design legacy of Henry Chapman Mercer, Pratt and Larson began to explore how to unite their talents in pottery and textiles to create their own art tile designs. Their interest was furthered by a trip to Mexico, where they found richly decorative tile used everywhere, integral to every day life. On their return to Portland they focused their artistic talents on creating a handcrafted tile line that would reflect their own aesthetics along with the style of the historic American Art Tile. In 1982 they officially launched Pratt and Larson Ceramics.
The company quickly gained national attention. While changes in marketing constantly evolve, Pratt & Larson continues many long standing relationships with national firms as well as selling to over a hundred independent regional dealers throughout the United States and Canada. Most of the original craftsman style designs are still a successful part of the Pratt & Larson catalog which has grown considerably over the last 30 years. It now includes hundreds of glazes and shapes encompassing a wide range of styles from traditional to contemporary.
As history repeats its self and the Great Recession affected many of today’s tile companies much the same as the Great Depression did in the 1930’s, Michael Pratt and Reta Larson remain as passionate and committed to making original and creative art tile as ever.
Our business headquarters and handmade tile factory is located at 1201 SE 3rd Ave in Portland Oregon. Factory tours are available upon request! Please call 503-231-9464 or email firstname.lastname@example.org to contact us directly.